Table of Contents
-How to purchase a home in Lewis County
-What are the government loan limits in Lewis County, WA?
-What parts of Lewis County are eligible for USDA loans?
-Do I need flood insurance?
-How do I learn about Property Taxes in Lewis County
-What is the median home price in Lewis County, WA?
-How many people live in Lewis County?
-What are the major cities?
-How do I see FHA- and VA-Approved homes for sale?
-Is there a cost to have a real estate agent represent me?
-What closing costs do I need?
-How can I get assistance with closing costs?
-About Lewis County
-How much of a loan can I qualify for, based on my income?
-Approved Condominium Projects in Lewis County
How to purchase a home in Lewis County
Are you interested in buying a home in Lewis County? This is a step by step guide to all the ins and outs of the homebuying process. For more detail about FHA loans, be sure to check out our complete guide. We also have an in-depth guide to VA loans and the USDA’s Rural Development home loan program.
For now, let’s look at the basic steps to buying a home – and what you’ll have to look out for in Lewis County.
- Get in touch with a loan officer – give us a call at 877-432-5626 We can help you figure out what type of loan you might qualify for. Programs through the VA, USDA, and FHA allow you to buy a home with a small down payment – or no down payment at all. We will also check your credit and income to see how much of a loan you can qualify for. When we do this, we do a “soft pull” on your credit. This is different from an official credit inquiry and won’t hurt your credit score.
- Compare loan offers. Either call us or fill out the form by filling up the form at the top right of this page.
- Give your Loan Officer the information they need to find you a loan For a purchase loan or cash-out refinances:
- Your ID
- Previous two years of W2s
- Most recent 30 days paystubs
- Most recent 60 days bank statements
- Landlord and HR/Payroll Department contact info
For a refinance loan, you will also need information on the loan you want to refinance.
- Contact our Loan officers to compare the interest rates and APRS – but keep in mind that the fixed- and adjustable-rate mortgages are apples and oranges. Use the Loan Estimate to compare the true costs of each loan, both month-to-month and over the life of the mortgage.
- Find a home Get connected with a FedHome Loan Centers Real Estate Agent. Once you meet with them to talk about your wants and needs, you can sign up for the property search feed. This will give you alerts about homes for sale in Lewis County. Now you’re ready to preview properties and start touring homes.
- Make an offer and negotiate the terms of the sale
- Get the necessary and recommended inspections Required Inspections:
- Termite Inspection
- Well or septic inspections, if applicable
- We can help you check if your home is in one of the Lewis County flood hazard areas.
Home Inspection, Roof Inspection, Sewer Inspection
- Get the home appraised Construction loans require a construction appraisal and permit approval
- Lock in your interest rate Pro Tip: Wait until the appraisal to lock in your loan rates. If it turns out you need to make repairs, it can push the closing back. Then you run the risk of losing that rate or having to pay an extension fee.
- Close the deal and get packing! You’re ready to go!
What are the Loan Limits for Lewis County?
- FHA Loan Limit $331,760 (Single family residence) / $424,800 (Duplex) / $513,450 (Triplex) / $638,100 (Fourplex)
- USDA Loan Limit $265,400
- VA Home Loan Limit $0 down up to $3,000,000 / 2 open VA loans at one time $510,400 *(Call 877-432-5626 for details).
What Parts of Lewis County are eligible for USDA Loans?
- Lewis County is eligible for a USDA Rural Development home loan.
- Eligible Zip Codes: 98336, 98355, 98356, 98361, 98377, 98531, 98532, 98533, 98538, 98542, 98544, 98564, 98565, 98570, 98572, 98582, 98585, 98591, 98593, 98596.
Do I need Flood Insurance?
The FHA, USDA, and VA all require flood insurance in Special Flood Hazard Areas.
How do I learn about Property Taxes in Lewis County?
Dianne Dorey is the Lewis county tax assessor. Her office is located at 351 NW North Street, Chehalis, Washington, 98532, and can also be reached by calling (360)740-1392.
What is the Median Home Price in Lewis County?
The median home value for Lewis County is $262,101. Also, the median household income for residents of the county is $50,216.
How many people live in Lewis County?
As of 2019, Lewis County’s population is 80,707, which has increased by 7% since 2010. Demographically speaking, 82% of the population is White, with 10% Hispanic, and 3% Mixed Races.
What are the major cities?
The county has eight cities and one town, including the city of Chehalis, which serves as the county seat. The other seven cities in the county are Centralia, Napavine, Winlock, Morton, Mossyrock, Toledo, and Vader.
How do I see FHA- and VA-Approved homes for sale?
Is there a cost to have a real estate agent represent me?
The seller must pay the real estate professionals’ commission, not the buyer. This means that, as a homebuyer, there is no cost to have a real estate agent represent you. In fact, it’s a good idea to get your own agent in order to have someone in your corner during the negotiation process. For more information about real estate agents, click here.
What closing costs do I need?
For FHA loans, closing costs can end up being 3-4% of the loan amount. These costs include origination fees from the lender, any discount points purchased for a better interest rate, and pre-paid items like insurance and taxes.
How can I get assistance with closing costs?
There are several ways to reduce the amount you have to pay at closing. One way is to get down payment assistance. The FHA’s Within Reach program provides grants to help low- and middle-income families with their down payment.
About Lewis County
Located in the southwestern part of Washington, the county was initially inhabited by the Chehalis and the Meshall people for hundreds of years before European arrival. Eventually, the county was established in 1845 and was named in honor of Meriwether Lewis, from the corps of discovery.
Today, the county is home to six school districts, with a total of 20 schools ranging from kindergarten to 12th grade. The county also has a higher education institution with Centralia College, where the most common concentrations are in property maintenance, nursing assistant, and culinary services.
In addition to its educational opportunities, the county is also home to a growing economy where the three biggest employment industries are in the Retail trade, healthcare, and manufacturing industries. Therefore, the most common occupations are in office, administrative, sales, and management.
The county is host to several educational opportunities outside of its schools with its several cultural and arts institutions, including the Chehalis Theater, Lewis County Historical Museum, and the Vernetta Smith Chehalis Timberland Library.
Not only is the county a great place to call home because of its growing economy and quality educational opportunities. Lewis County is also an excellent place for parks and recreation due to its many parks and businesses which provide fun for the whole family. Some of these places include Gail and Carolyn Shaw Aquatics Center, Stan Hedwall Park, and Millett Field, among many others.
How much of a loan can I qualify for, based on my income?
|Monthly Income||Purchase Price|
Purchase Price subject to credit and income evaluation.
Approved Condos in Lewis County
There currently aren’t any VA or FHA approved condos in Lewis County, give us a call at (877) 432-5626, and we can help you through the condo approval process.
Find an Amazing Home in Lewis County Today!
FedHome Loan Centers can help you find and finance the perfect home. Our application process is easy to complete!
Reach out today to speak to our knowledgeable team!